Saturday, May 7, 2011

Frog Eye Salad


K, let me first of all say, that this doesn't really have frog eyes in it, so don't be deterred by the name. I don't really know where the name came from, but this recipe is awesome! My family has been making it for family get togethers for as long as I can remember, and usually it's the first thing to run out. This is a super yummy, creamy, pasta/fruit salad. This is one of those recipes that you need to read through before you start though. Otherwise, it's just really frustrating. The first time I made this, I drained the juice of my fruit into the sink and had to make a grocery store run at like 10pm at night. So read through the directions before starting. I won't be adding an estimated cooking time on this recipe because you are suppose to refrigerate overnight, so just know it's something that you would start on the day before you actually wanted it. But this recipe is so worth it and is something that everyone will love. Enjoy!!

Ingredients
  • 2 cups uncooked Acini Pepe pasta
  • 1 20 ounce can crushed pineapple
  • 1 20 ounce can pineapple tidbits
  • 2 cans mandarin orange segments
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 3 cups miniature marshmallows
  • 1 8 ounce container cool whip
  • 1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
Cook pasta as per directions on box. Rinse pasta and Cool.

Drain juice from canned pinapples and mandarin orange segments into a bowl. Set aside. In a seperate bowl, mix flour and sugar. Add beaten eggs and blend. Stir in 2 cups of saved juice, if needed add water to juice to make 2 cups. Place in a sauce pan and over medium heat, cook stirring until thickened. Cool until only slightly warm and add marshmallows. Cool then add cooled cooked pasta. Stir well. Refrigerate overnight.

The next day mix together the cool whip and cream cheese in separate bowl. Add to pasta mixture. Fold in fruit. Mix well. Refrigerate until serving. Refrigerate leftovers.

6 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi! This is very different. I have to make this just out of pure curiosity. A family dish that goes quick is good enough for me. I also have one of those save the juice recipes ... ooops. You have wonderful pictures! Thanks

FoodSnots said... Best Blogger Tips

@Anonymous Most people are kind of unsure about this recipe, maybe it's the name ;) But it is to die for. You'll love it!! And thank you!! I work hard at my pictures so I appreciate it when someone takes the time to let me know they like them :)

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

My grandma used to make something just like this, but used the big tapioca pearls. Thanks for reminding me about this recipe, and adding your twist on it!

LMM said... Best Blogger Tips

I so want to make this but I have a question and I feel kind of dumb about it. In the ingredient list it says UNCOOKED pasta but in the instructions it says add cooked pasta. At some point am I supposed to boil the pasta? They are very tiny, how do you drain them?

FoodSnots said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Lisa, At the very top of the directions, right under the ingredient list, it says to cook the pasta as per box directions. So you'll want to cook the pasta then. Also, your box should tell you how to cook the pasta, and you shouldn't have to drain it if you follow the box directions, but to rinse it, I usually use my sifter cause the pasta balls are just to small for a normal strainer.

Katy said... Best Blogger Tips

Are you kin to me 'cause my family has been making this recipe with the VERY SAME NAME for at least all of my 37 years! LOVE this recipe!!!